Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Dune: House Harkonnen, by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

Another interesting book by this duo who took the challenge to keep Frank Herbert's amazing universe alive. Again, the quality doesn't match that of the original author, but it's still a must read for the die hard fan. Be suspicious of my praises to anything related to Dune, however. It's been a long process that has started almost 17 years ago, but only recently I have discovered that 1) I'm a Dune freak, 2) I tend to like Dune things even if I don't like them (e.g. the infamous David Lynch movie, which I watch over and over even though I find it shallow and stupid), 3) I'm a Dune freak (just making sure I managed to get the point across).

This one takes you into Duncan Idaho's training as a Swordmaster, the development of Duke Leto as a leader, the further downfall of Ix, and, of course, several events related to the Harkonnens (such as the introduction of Gurney Halleck, the fall of Abulurd Harkonnen and the birth of Feyd-Rautha). It doesn't really taste like science fiction very much, but rather like space opera, and you know what? It doesn't matter, because it's still Dune and it sheds a strong light onto the background of characters from a fantastic story in an incredible universe.

If you've never read any Dune book before, this is not your starting point: go back to read them in the order they were written: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapter House Dune and then move on to the prequels that started with Dune: House Atreides. According to Kevin J. Anderson, there may be a new Dune book every year and I'm already anxious to get my hands of the next installment Dune: House Corrino.

No comments: