Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Blood Music, by Greg Bear

And so it happened that I was on a Greg Bear roll. After reading the rave reviews on this one (which say it's even better than Darwin's Radio), I thought to give it a try. Yeah, it's definitely a good read and much more science than the space-opera-ish The Forge of God and The Anvil of Starts, which I had just read, but still it's no Darwin. I read this while traveling in Italy, so I only managed to commit myself to it during train trips or occasional nights when I hadn't stayed up too late walking around after wine and grappa. I'm sure that my traveling and my divided attention broke the rhythm of reading this book and didn't allow me to appreciate it to the fullest. In any case, I managed to enjoy this intense story about the threat that biotech poses to our entire world. The book is pretty scary if you take it seriously and upon turning the last page, all I could think about was that I hope this is so exaggerated that nothing of those proportions would ever happen.

No comments: