Friday, December 22, 2006

Temple of The Winds, by Terry Goodkind

I guess when I started the "Sword of Truth" series I was so engaged in the story that I didn't pay much attention to the low quality of Goodkind's writing. This book is not terribly engaging and lacks much in terms of creativity, so the authors weaknesses really show through.

I found the book fairly entertaining, but it read like a scene observed from afar: I never recaptured the bond I had built with the characters and never cared much for what was happening to them. The author seems to be focusing on throwing in too many plot twists and unexciting surprises. To make up for the lack of really wondrous developments, he seems to be trying to capture the reader's interest with the worst elements of soap opera.

Among the new characters introduced in this volume, there were a bastard brother and a long lost lover which are shamelessly used to stir up jealousy and intrigue and to create space for an attempt at writing cheap erotica. Having lost the initial excitement with the Sword of Truth series, I now think it's not to be regarded as more than mass market entertainement and certainly never as literature.

No comments: