Friday, December 22, 2006

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, by J. K. Rowling

The best of the 3 Potter books, in my opinion. Granted that the books have been completely formulaic: it always starts out with Harry having a miserable time at the Dudleys', then going to Hogwarts School of Magic for another academic year where he gets sucked into some exciting adventure only to return to the Dudleys' one more time. Well, yeah, that's true, but how cares? The books are extremely fun to read and that's what matters.

I still can't get over the whole Quiddich thing and everytime Rowling describes a game she gets me jumping in my seat, cheering for Potter. The descriptions are so vivid that I can see the whole match unfolding before my eyes: kids flying around on broomsticks, trying to send floating balls into a floating goal and the Seeker flying around everybody at high speed, frantically chasing the Golden Snitch. It's almost as exciting as watching World Cup Soccer. I reached the Quiddich final on a Saturday morning and the only thing that kept me from screaming with excitement was the fact that there other people still asleep in the house.

My only complaint is that, every time I start one of these books, I get so sucked into the story that it almost hurts to put the book down if I'm not finished. I think these are best when read in one sitting, so the reader doesn't suffer from withdrawal until the story is resolved and finished. I'm eagerly waiting for the next one.

No comments: