Friday, December 22, 2006

nto The Wild, by Jon Krakauer

Christopher McCandless, aka Alex Supertramp, graduates from Emory College and severs contact with his family to get out on the road on the adventure of a lifetime. He doesn't realize, perhaps, that life is a very fragile thing and two years later, his emaciated body is found inside an abandoned bus on the Stampede Trail in Alaska.

This book is about "why's", a great many of them. Why a well-to-do kid abandoned his family. Why he passionately loved his outdoors excursions. Why he wanted to push his limits. And also about why and how he died in the pursuit of his own self.

I decided to read this book for a variety of reasons. I've read "Into Thin Air" and immensely enjoyed Krakauer's ability to tell a good story, even if we all know it's a tragic one. My passion for the outdoors has been growing fast and steadily in the last year and I've been trying to understand why and how a big city guy like me suddenly becomes so enamoured and enthusiastic about being in the wilderness. I've never taken any mighty risks, but I do enjoy the feeling of a solo trip. Can I ever put myself in the same situation that Alex found himself? Am I pushing my own envelope farther than my abilities?

Somehow I felt like Alex and I had a few things in common and thought it would be interesting to see where our philosophies diverged. It was an outstanding read, much like a "mystery" book, but also because it forces you to look inside your own self and reach out to someone who got lost in the way. You turn page after page hoping to figure out what drives a human being to seek communion with the environment at the expense of risking his own life. Krakauer masterfully interweaves Alex's story with those of others who perished in similar circumstances and with his own personal experiences. Although very sad, it's a wonderful book, an eye opener for the outdoors enthusiast and a wonderful beginning for those seeking to understand themselves through the lives of others.

No comments: