Friday, December 22, 2006

The Catcher and The Rye, by J. D. Salinger

So I had a week that was not going so well and a good friend recommended me this book. I'm not going to be corny and say "oh, man, this guy in the story had a much harder time with life than me" because that's what it is. I mean, it would be corny to say that, but I'm sure some people wouldn't resist, what would only mean they are really corny.

If you're one of those like me who didn't have the book as a reading assignment in school (in Brazil they force us to read the Brazilian classics instead), this is something you might want track down and read as soon as possible, because it's absolutely great. It's an easy read, it's short and it's extremely enjoyable, not to mention the fact that it's great "food for thought".

The story takes you deep into the mind of a person who is going through a rough time: problems relating to other people, problems with the opposite sex, dealing with parents and siblings, facing the uncertainty of the future, etc. But it does so from a very emotional point of view and sometimes in a delightfully sarcastic tone. I love Sallinger's honest style and how he leaves a lot more to be understood than meets the eye.

No comments: