Friday, December 22, 2006

Romeo & Juliet, by William Shakespeare

I can't really get deep into this because I'm no expert in literature and consider anything I may say about such a classic a petty, frivolous comment. I reserve the right to say, though, that this it is so incredibly romantic it hurts. I get the feeling that it's not what Shakespeare writes about that makes him so great, it's how he writes. The wit, the beauty, the complexity and depth of the dialogues are worth much much more than the time you put into reading one of his plays. I should repeat that I've been extremely happy to read the Folger Library editions of Shakespeare plays. I don't believe there can be an easier and more pleasant way to tackle Shakespeare works than with authoritative scholars out to help you through the archaic vocabulary and historic/literary references you might miss.

No comments: