Friday, December 22, 2006

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera

Undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful and insightful books ever written. It's a book for sentitive people who often ponder on the nature of romantic relationships. It's an honest story full of life and about life, which does not develop linearly. The characters are solid and palpable and extremely intriguing. I had to read this book slowly because I didn't want it to end. Several times I was led to stop and think deeply about the pearls that Kundera wove into the plot.

The story evolves around the lives of four lovers as their relationships grow and get intertwined with one another. The settings are also very real and can get one totally immersed, in both spatial and temporal sense. When I finished to book, I ran to the video store to get the movie, but the screen version was a great disappointment. I couldn't stomach what was done to characters that I came to love as I read this book and didn't get to finish even the first half of the movie.

No comments: