Friday, March 16, 2007

A Window in Copacabana, by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza

Author binge, yes, I'm guilty. This is the fourth book in the "Inspector Espinosa" mystery series. Of all the books I've read in the series, so far, this was the first one that I couldn't crack on my own and I'm happy for that surprise. Espinosa is a great character who develops more and more with every additional book. Garcia-Roza's writing clearly shows a lot of love for the city of Rio de Janeiro and more than being post-cards, his books read like personal invitations to the sensual, seductive city.

An expatriate like me will either find sheer delight in traversing the city with the characters or be struck with sharp pangs of homesickness. Actually, for me the two feelings alternate with even and odd pages.

The story follows a serial killer who wipes out member of the police force and their extramarital affairs. There comes "Inspector" Espinosa to investigate the murders. I'm not sure inspector is the best translation to English of the word delegado from Portuguese, which refers to the head of a precinct, but so be it. I found the end surprising and somewhat satisfying, though a bit rushed. Still, it was a very enjoyable read which I recommend to mystery buffs.

No comments: