Friday, March 16, 2007

Lyra's Oxford, by Philip Pullman

Sweet little book, or rather, short story. It happens in the alternate Oxford universe, which we see in His Dark Materials, and features Lyra and her daemon Pantalaimon. There are a few "goodies" in the book, such as a map of Lyra's Oxford, a postcard, and other little oddities. As Philip Pullman says in the preface, they may be connected to the story. Or they may not. Who is to know? Not me... This specific story talks about Lyra finding a witch's daemon flying around on its own. That starts a little quest where she tries to find out why this daemon is alone, so far away from the owner. There's some running around Oxford in the dark, what lays out a mysterious backdrop for a small story that whets the appetite. It's interesting and sweet, but I'm not sure I can say it is satisfying because it left me wanting more.

I have no idea what Pullman has been brewing, if anything, but I wouldn't mind a return to the HDM universe. In any case, a movie of The Golden Compass is in the works and is scheduled for release December 2007. I'm really looking forward to it! The movie's web site (http://goldencompassmovie.com) has some beautiful shots, but nothing that displays daemons.

No comments: