Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hominids, by Robert J. Sawyer

Hmmm... I'm still trying to figure out how I really feel about this book. First of all, I must say that this had a "soapy" (as in soap opera) component to it that I can't quite explain. However, at the same time, it has the classic elements of good science fiction. I'd say that in a certain way, Sawyer has a stylistic similarity with earlier Isaac Asimov. This is, I think, the best comment that I have on this book, or perhaps the only good comment.

The story is undoubtedly interesting. The premises are centered on the multiverse interpretation of quantum theory, on the supposition that "something" causes reality to split at certain points in time and give birth to new universes where different possibilities come to fruition. So far so good, even if this theme has been explored a lot in different kinds of media. Remember "Quantum Leap" and "Sliders" on TV? Haven't you heard of several stories built around the notion of multiverses? But, fine, put that aside for the moment because the author does introduce some creative, original material. There are some interesting possibilities to explore here. If Neandertals hadn't been wiped out, if they had thrived and Homo Sapiens had been driven to extinction, how would their society be? This is the main point explored in the novel and where the author gets creative.

Using the framework of Neanderthal society, the author builds a case of rape, a murder mystery, and even a bit of courtroom drama. I found it much more entertaining than interesting. Somehow I didn't feel as enthusiastic about the last third as I was in the first third of the book. I will continue to read the series and pick up "Humans", but without terribly great expectations. "Hominids" was to me nothing more than a decent summer read.

No comments: